The Data Manager at the Alliance for Youth Organizing (along with our sister 501(c)4 organization the Alliance for Youth Action) will support the Senior National Data Director in managing internal and network-wide data systems and tools. Since our inception, our network has led on some of the most innovative and exciting electoral and issue advocacy work across the country. We’re looking for an organized and driven individual to create and strengthen data systems for the Alliance Network, provide training and 1:1 support for network staff, and provide reports and data visualization to illustrate the work of the network. This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office.
About the Alliance
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We truly are a multiracial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our Affiliates and Partners run massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, train new young leaders, and run powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
The Data Manager will:
- Directly support network organizations, ensuring correct and compliant use of the voter file to efficiently run and scale voter contact programs.
- Disseminate best practices on tools and tactics through existing cohorts and 1-1s and identify additional methods to convey this information, including creating new spaces and/or holding office hours.
- Assist network organizations in managing and administering various volunteer and voter engagement tools (e.g. VAN, ThruText, Hustle, OutVote, Reach, etc.).
- Create reports to track programmatic progress to goals that provide actionable information to leadership with support from Senior National Data Director.
- Design process for and administer regular tool audits to make sure accounts across all tools are deactivated.
- Ensure data from volunteer and voter engagement tools regularly sync to Civis. Highlight issues and manage the process to rectify with The Movement Cooperative and vendors, with support from Senior National Data Director.
- Represent the Alliance in coalition meetings and working groups.
- Coordinate with leadership (and national staff where appropriate) to identify and resolve issues.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Apply if you:
- Have at least two to three years of political experience, ideally at least one year in a data role.
- Are familiar with tools like VAN, ThruText, Hustle, OutVote, Reach, etc, preferably as an administrator.
- Can create reports in Google Sheets/Microsoft Excel.
- Know when to answer the question someone meant to ask rather than the one they did.
- Can manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Have used Civis Platform before and/or know SQL.
Nice to Haves
- Are (or have been) a data staffer for a statewide organization.
- Experience facilitating or working in a network or federated model.
- Knowledge and/or relationships with c3 and c4 infrastructure groups such as State Voices and America Votes.
The Alliance for Youth Organizing is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
- Compensation: $63,000 – $70,000 per year commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, public transportation stipend, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
- Location: This is a full time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, DC office. All positions are remote until further notice due to COVID-19. Remote work out of state is an option until employees are expected to return to the office. Moving reimbursements are offered to employees expected to move to Washington, DC for this position.
- Travel: Under non pandemic circumstances, domestic travel for this role may be up to 40% of this position. Must be willing to work periodically long, irregular hours and to travel as needed.
Please fill out this form and submit a single pdf document including the following:
- Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
- An interesting piece of data (e.g. a fun fact, a cool learning from previous work, your favorite formula, the most interesting data visualization you’ve seen, etc.) that ideally, but not necessarily, you worked on.
Qualified candidates will be provided with a technical skills and analysis examination.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
PRIORITY DEADLINE TO APPLY IS FEBRUARY 28, 2021.