The Senior Finance Manager at the Alliance for Youth Action (along with our sister 501c3 organization the Alliance for Youth Organizing) will lead on day-to-day internal financial management to ensure our organization is running smoothly behind the scenes. Since our inception, our network has led on some of the most innovative and exciting electoral and issue advocacy work across the country. We’re looking for an organized and driven individual to strengthen financial management and budgeting systems, monitor and maintain internal controls, and oversee financial compliance requirements. This is a full-time position based out of our Washington, DC office, reporting to the Senior Finance Director.
About the Alliance for Youth Action
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We truly are a multiracial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our Affiliates and Partners run massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, train new young leaders, and run powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
The Senior Finance Manager will monitor and maintain organization-wide financial management systems to ensure high quality internal controls, accurate financial reporting, and effective financial analysis and planning.
Financial Operations Management
- Oversee the Alliance’s daily financial operations and supervise the internal finance management and external bookkeepers, including c3/c4 cost sharing as well as working with finance team members responsible for cash, bank, accounts receivable, and account payable processes.
- Oversee the Alliance’s grant and revenue management processes and systems, coordinating with the development department to ensure revenue is organized and compliant with all grant, funder, and contract requirements.
- Develop and enhance financial management systems, processes, and policies as needed.
- Manage the monthly financial reporting process, acting as the primary reviewer on a variety of reports to ensure accuracy and quality, including budget and cash trackers.
Financial Planning & Reporting
- Lead on the Alliance’s annual financial audits and coordinate with Senior & Executive management to ensure accurate and timely IRS 990 filings.
- Work with Senior & Executive management on Alliance’s annual budgeting process, leading on planning and analysis to ensure organizational goals are achieved in a fiscal and compliant manner
- Manage budget forecasting and reforecasting needs as necessary, and develop tools and strategies to advise Senior & Executive management to make real-time financial decisions.
- Prepare financial reports for Alliance staff, leadership, board, and funders as needed, working in partnership with the Senior Finance Director to present these to a variety of stakeholders.
- Oversee the documentation and administration of grants and contracts, ensuring that all financial and compliance requirements are met in accordance with agreed upon terms.
- Lead the Finance department in the development and enhance of internal financial process and procedures documentation
Capacity Building & Technical Assistance
- Work with network organizations to identify and create solutions for financial challenges, including in areas such as budgeting and planning, accounting policies and procedures, and financial compliance.
- Help develop financial management and compliance trainings, coordinating with the Senior Finance Director to develop curriculum for network financial management capacity building services, while holding meetings and trainings with network organizations.
- Coordinate with a variety of departments to enhance our network financial reporting program, communicating the financial data collected to develop capacity building support for organizations.
Key Qualifications and Experience
We’re looking for candidates with particular strengths in the following areas:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field, OR certification or training in accounting practices (CPA not required).
- Working knowledge of GAAP, audits, and other regulatory requirements in the nonprofit financial field.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and google sheets.
- Experience with budget management and financial forecasting.
- Knowledge of nonprofit legal structures as it relates to financial management.
- Detail oriented and organized, with proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects.
- A self-starter with strong initiative who – beyond directing our current systems – has the willingness to identify additional processes that could be streamlined and the skills to realize that vision.
- Champion of organizational diversity & equity with a commitment to social justice.
- Passion for and commitment to youth organizing and Alliance mission.
- Compensation: $74,400 – $88,250 per year commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, WMATA transportation smartbenefits, professional development opportunities, a generous paid time off policy, and up to 16 weeks of paid family and medical leave.
- Location: This is a full time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, DC office. All positions are remote until further notice due to COVID-19. Moving reimbursements are offered to employees expected to move to Washington, DC for this position.
- Travel: Under non pandemic circumstances, domestic travel for this role may be up to 15% for this position. Must be willing to work periodically long, irregular hours and to travel as needed.
The Alliance for Youth Action is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
Please apply here and submit a single pdf document including the following:
- Cover letter, explaining why you want this job and what makes you well-suited for the position (please prioritize content over formality)
- Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
PRIORITY DEADLINE TO APPLY IS FRIDAY, JANUARY 27th